Top Things to do in this Summer Holidays in and around Cambridgeshire
Summer is a beautiful, fun season full of festivals, bbq’s, sunsets, picnics and most of all, a 6 week holiday for your kids. So, what are you going to do with them? This article is a list of exciting, affordable and family-friendly things to do in and around Cambridgeshire this summer holidays. Ready?
- Beaches – it is basically compulsory to visit a beach in the summer holidays; the sand, the sea, sandcastles, the ice cream and fish and chips! It’s a great day out for the kids, and there are approximately 19 beaches within a 90-minute drive of Cambridge, in popular, as well as stunning, places like Norfolk and Suffolk.
- Wicksteed Park – A great theme park in Kettering. It’s rides, attractions and activities aim to promote the historic landscape and heritage. A full day of fun for the family, with a variety of different zones containing all sorts of different themes and rides for both the little ones and adrenaline seekers.
- Peppa Pig & Friends – The Broadway Theatre in Peterborough will be having special visitors this year, that I am sure most of your children will be buzzing for – It’s Peppa Pig and Friends! It’s an amazing camping adventure featuring live music, forest walks and games all with your children’s favourite characters.
- Summer at the Museums – A variety of museums in Cambridge has come together to create a fun and educational summer holidays for your children. All activities and events are based on topics such as computing history, Cambridge’s popular locations, art, animals, science and so much more etc. Check the link for a full ‘What’s On?” guide.
- Cambridge‘s Clubs and Groups – If you live in or near Cambridge, there are countless clubs and groups your kids can join, whether it’s for an hour session or a week-long thing, affordable price or even free! There are clubs for science, drama, athletics, youths, adventure and so many more that you can find on the web.
- Big Fish Little Fish – Does your children love to party? Well, Ely hosts this huge family-friendly rave called Big Fish Little Fish, suitable for all children aged 0-8 years old (but older siblings are always welcome!). Party the night away with snacks and drinks, fun music and dancing. Click on the link to reach their Facebook page.
- Dragon Boat Festivals – There is a variety of dragon boat festivals going on around Cambridgeshire, such as Peterborough, St Neots, Cambridge and even Milton Keynes etc. Whether you go there to race or for the music, fair, snacks and support, a good day out is guaranteed. Visit the Cambridge Dragon Boat Festival Facebook page here.
- Activity World – One of the largest indoor and outdoor play areas in the UK. Located in Peterborough, the play area covers 10,000sq ft of floor and is 3 levels high. A perfect couple of hours for your kids to have fun, they will definitely sleep that night!
- Shepreth Wildlife Park – Located in Royston, this wildlife park offers families an amazing day out, to experience all animals small and big, cute and scary! As well as this, you can learn about the endangered species, all about their charitable trust and how you can contribute to it.
- Official Guided Walking Tour of Cambridge – If you have never visited Cambridge, or is interested in all of its historic edges, this walking tour will probably be a good day out for you. There are a variety of different walks you can participate in, all of which covers not only the historic features of the city but the natural beauty of its environment.
- XScape – I have left this till last because technically it’s not based in Cambridgeshire, it’s in Milton Keynes, so it’s not that far from the region. Furthermore, XScape is pricey but can be a mega-exciting couple of hours for the family – you can participate in things such as snowboarding, bowling, skydiving (indoor), skiing, adventure golf etc and then enjoy a lovely meal at one of the many restaurants inside the building.
Thank you for reading. Enjoy your Summer Holidays!